Monday, March 18, 2013

Leaving the shore for the other side

A long while ago I gave a talk on printed textiles in Rovaniemi, the capital of Finnlsh Lapland, close to the Arctic Circle. The sun never set. 
I went for a walk and saw a boat moored near a small pier. I sat down to draw under a nearby boulder, and when I looked up again the boat was gone.
 I hadn't seen anyone get into it, nor did I hear the slightest sound. I took two photos, before and after. 

Every time we have a thought the boat is there. After every thought and before the next one, the boat is gone.


 If we observe and listen attentively we may see and hear how it all comes and goes. Often we forget to pay attention. Often we get hooked. 

The next day I returned to find the boat back where it had been. 
I remember smiling a lot that day.




2 comments:

  1. What a lovely picture. What a lovely thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. x This morning I went blasting around to school, then the shops, then the checkout, then the, then the, then the.... as I pulled into 4519 I heard and saw masses of Waxwings... I was attentive - I paused, I enjoyed their flight, their sounds, their shapes. I filmed. I recorded.
    I enjoyed again.
    Later I read your post.
    Need I say more?
    xx

    ReplyDelete